Vladislav Gorbatiy, M.D., is a urologist who joined Broward Urology Center in 2012. He completed extensive medical research and clinical training with
an emphasis on robotic, laparoscopic, and ablative surgical methods, and treatment of urological diseases including prostate, bladder,
and kidney cancers.
Dr. Gorbatiy received his medical degree from Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. He then completed a surgical internship and residency
training at University of Texas Health Science Center and MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He moved to Florida to complete
a 2-year minimally invasive, robotic, laparoscopic and ablative urology fellowship at University of Miami School of Medicine. He is the
only urologist in Broward County to receive fellowship training in robotic surgery.
His interests include the DaVinci Robot and single incision reconstructive surgery for congenital kidney and ureter obstruction. He applies the latest
minimally invasive techniques for the treatments of complex kidney stones and benign prostate enlargement.
Dr. Gorbatiy is also one of the few urologists in South Florida offering penile and urinary sphincter implant surgery for severe erectile dysfunction and
Foreign Language(s) Spoken
- Medical Spanish and Russian
Current Leadership Position(s)
- Director of Robotic Surgery at Broward Urology Center
- Urologic Oncology
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- daVinci Robotic Surgery
- Laparascopic Surgery
- Single-Incision Surgery
- Robotic Prostatectomy
- Robotic Partial Nephrectomy
- Robotic Radical Nephrectomy
- Robotic Ureteral Surgery
- Robotic Pyeloplasty
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Cancer Ablation Therapy
- Cryotherapy of Kidney and Prostate Cancer
- University of Miami Endourology - 2 year Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery Fellowship
Notable Work Experience
- MD Anderson Cancer Center - Houston, Texas
- American Board of Urology
- Endourological Society Fellow Certificate, July 2010-June 2012
- SPIDER® (Single Port Instrument Delivery Extended Reach Surgical System Certification
TransEnterix, Durham, NC April, 2011
- DaVinci Robotic Surgery Certification
Global Robotics Institute, Celebration, FL January 2011
- DaVinci Robotics Course Certification
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH April, 2010
Residency / Fellowship
University of Miami, Miami Florida
Minimally Invasive, Robotics & Endourology Fellowship, July 2010-June 2012
University of Texas Health Science Center / MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Urology Residency, July 2006-June 2010
University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
General Surgery Internship, July 2005-June 2006
Higher Education Medical and Undergraduate
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
M.D., July 2001-May 2005
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
Biomedical Science, B.S., July 1997-May 2001
Magna Cum Laude
University Honors and Foundation Honors
- American Urological Association, 2005-Present
- The Endourological Society, 2007-Present
- Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association, 2013-Present
- Florida Urological Association, 2013-Present
- American Urological Association Tissue Ablative Course Faculty Member, 2010
- Highest AUA In-Service Exam, 2008
- La Salle Medical School of City of Mexico Preceptorship Program, 2005
- Atlanta-Tbilisi International Healthcare Partnership, 2002
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Internship, 1997-2000
- Texas A&M University Lechner Academic Scholarship, 1997
- Rotary International Academic Scholarship, 1997
- Texas A&M Class of 2001 University Scholar
- Junior 1999 Gathright Scholar Award
Research / Publications / Presentations
- Gorbatiy V, Castro Jr A, Mure A, Iremashvili V, Castle SM, Leveillee RJ. Renal Volumetric Analysis: A New Paradigm in Renal Mass Treatment
Assessment. Journal of Endourology. March, 2013.
- Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Avallone MA, Eldefrawy A, Caulton DE, Leveillee RJ. Cost comparison of nephron-sparing treatments for cT1a renal
masses. Urol Oncol 2012.
- Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Ekwenna O, Young E, Leveillee RJ. Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) therapy for renal angiomyolipoma (AML): an alternative
to angio-embolization and nephron-sparing surgery. BJU Int 2012;109:384–387.
- Castle SM, Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Leveillee RJ. Preoperative patient counseling for diagnostic renal biopsy and complications with renal
radiofrequency ablation. World J Urol 2012.
- Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Salas N, Gorin MA, Landman J, Leveillee RJ. Development and evaluation of a novel cadaveric model for performance
of image-guided percutaneous renal tumor ablation. J Surg Educ 2012; 69:30–33.
- Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Leveillee JR. Video: “Simple Nephrectomy using the TransEnterix SPIDER® Surgical System.” Journal of Endourology,
Part B: Videourology. 2011 June 14.
- Leveillee RJ, Castle SM, Salas N, Doshi M, Gorbatiy V, O’Neill W. Improved Targeting of Radio-frequency Ablation Probes and Thermal
Sensors: A Preliminary Investigation of Flat-panel CT Guided Ablation of Renal Tumors in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab. J Endourology.
2011 June 14.
- Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Ekwenna O, Leveillee RJ. Laparoscopic and Image-guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Renal Tumors: Patient Selection
and Outcomes. Curr Urol Rep. 2011 Apr; 12(2):100-6.
- Salas N, Gorin MA, Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Bird VG, Leveillee RJ. Laparoendoscopic Single Site Nephrectomy With the SPIDER Surgical
System: Engineering Advancements Tested in a Porcine Model. J Endourol. 2011 Mar 9.
- Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Ramanathan R, Leveillee RJ. Imaging and focal therapy in prostate and kidney cancer. Panminerva Med. 2010 Dec;
- Sharp HJ, Swanson DA, Patel H, Gorbatiy V, Frenzel JC, Frank SJ. Subacute penile numbness after brachytherapy for prostate cancer.
Brachytherapy. 2010 Aug 2.
- Gorbatiy V, Westney OL, Wang R. Simultaneous Placement of an Inflatable Penile Prosthesis and a Male Urethral Sling Through a Single
Perineal Incision. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010 Feb; 7(2 Pt 1): 832-8.
- Gorbatiy V, Spiess P, Pisters L. The Growing Teratoma Syndrome: Current Review. Indian Journal of Urology. 2009 Apr; 25(2):186-9
- Gorbatiy V. “Writing a Petition.” Interactive Version of Killingsworth, M. J. and Jackie Palmer. Information in Action, 3rd Ed. Web
Edition. Boston: Allyn & Bacon. 1999
- Gorbatiy V. “How to Get a Driver’s License: A Guide for International Students.” Interactive Version of Killingsworth, M. J. and Jackie
Palmer. Information in Action, 3rd Ed. Web Edition. Boston: Allyn & Bacon. 1999.
- Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Ortiz N, Gorin MA, Bird V, Leveillee RJ. The "Al dente" Radiofrequency Ablation of Renal Tumors: Use of Peripheral
Fiberoptic Temperature Monitoring Saves Nephrons. Engineering in Urology Society, American Urological Association Meeting. May,
- Gorbatiy V, Gorin MA, Castle SM, Fernandez-Prada KD, Karjanawanichkul W, Salas N, Leveillee RJ. In vivo testing of the second generation,
novel SPIDER laparoendoscopic single-site surgical system. Engineering in Urology Society, American Urological Association Meeting.
- Leveillee RJ, Castle SM, Salas N, Gorbatiy V. Radiofrequency ablation of small renal masses: 8.75 year experience at a single institution.
SESAUA Annual Meeting, March, 2011.
- Castle SM, Gorbatiy V, Eldefrawy A, Karjanawanichkul W, Leveillee RJ. Comparison of reimbursement among various nephron-sparing surgeries
(NSS) for small renal masses. SESAUA Annual Meeting, March, 2011.
- Castle SM, Karjanawanichkul W, Gorbatiy V, Salas N, Leveillee RJ. Application of “cinch and tie” technique to robotic nephropexy for
posterior abdominal wall fixation. SESAUA Annual Meeting, March, 2011.
- Gorbatiy V. Current Management of Male Sexual Dysfunction. Broward Health Continuing Medical Education. Broward Health Medical Center.
May 29, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. Medical Management of Renal Stones: A Practical Guide for Primary Care Physicians. Broward Health Medical Center Department
of Family Medicine Didactics. March 15, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. The “Al Dente” Radiofrequency Ablation of Renal Tumors: Use of peripheral Fiberoptic Temperature Monitoring Saves Nephrons.
Poster Session. Engineering in Urology Section of the Endourological Society. Atlanta, GA. May 19, 2012.
- Gorbatiy V. Laparoscopic Hand-assisted Renal Surgery. Applied Medical Urology Workshop. Faculty. Miami, FL. November 4, 2011.
- Gorbatiy V. Medical Management of Renal Stones: Practical Guide. University of Miami Department of Urology Didactic Lecture Series.
April 1, 2011.
- Gorbatiy V, Castle SM, Karjanawanichkul W, Leveillee RJ. Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy outcomes at a single institution. SESAUA
Annual Meeting. March 18, 2011.
- Gorbatiy V. Laparoscopic Hand-assisted Renal Surgery. Applied Medical Urology Workshop. Faculty. Miami, FL. March 12, 2011.
- Gorbatiy V. Percutaneous Radiofrequency Ablation: Patient Selection for Optimal Ablation Outcomes and Critical Analysis of the Literature.
AUA Needle Ablative Therapy Course: Kidney and Prostate. Miami, Florida. November 13, 2010.
- Gorbatiy V. Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma: Building a Case for Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. University of Miami Department of Urology
Didactic Lecture Series. September 17, 2010.
- Gorbatiy V, Ramanathan R, Leveillee R. Radiofrequency ablation of Renal Tumors in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. World Congress
of Endourology, 2010
- Gorbatiy V. Electrosurgery. University of Texas Health Science Center Division of Urology Grand Rounds. June 16, 2010
- Gorbatiy V. Current Prostate Biopsy Strategies. Prostate Cancer Didactic Module Lecture Series. The University of Texas MD Anderson
Cancer Center Department of Urology, January 2009.
- Gorbatiy V, Westney OL, Wang R. Cost and Time Benefit of Dual Implantation of Inflatable Penile and Bulbourethral Sling Prosthetics
by Single Perineal Incision. Poster Presentation. Sexual Medicine Society of North America Meeting, December 2008.
- Gorbatiy V. “Retroperitoneal Anatomy” University of Texas Division of Urology Grand Rounds. October 2007.
- Gorbatiy V, Kobylivker A, Piraner M. “Hepatitis C virus infection in the Republic of Georgia.” Poster Presentation. Emory University
Medical Student Research Day, January 2003.
- Gorbatiy V, Bernstein L. “Comparative Studies of TPA Induced DNA Damage in Tumor Promotion Sensitive and Promotion Resistant JB6
Cells.” Poster Presentation. Texas A&M University Student Research Day, 2001.
- Urology, Manuscript Reviewer, 2011-Present
- Canadian Journal of Urology, Manuscript Reviewer, 2012-Present
- Journal of Endourology, Manuscript Reviewer, 2011-Present
- Gorbatiy V. “Ask The Doctor.” Men’s Health Day Broward Health Imperial Point. June 15, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. “Disparities in Healthcare: Prostate Cancer in African-American Men.” Elders Council. African-American Research Library
and Cultural Center. April 12, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. “Minimally Invasive Surgery and Future of Robotic Surgery.” Gilda’s Club: 11th Annual Day of Research and Hope. March 9,
- Gorbatiy V. “Robotic at Broward Health.” Tower Forum Club. February 7, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. “Robotics and Minimally Invasive Urologic Treatment Options.” Fort Lauderdale Downtown Rotary Club. January 16, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. “Minimally Invasive Urology.” Broward Health Community Relations Council. January 15, 2013.
- Gorbatiy V. “The Prostate: What every man should know about his prostate.” Educational Seminar. Mt. Nebo Missionary Baptist Church.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL. September 13, 2012.
- Gorbatiy V. “Discussion on male health and cancer screening.” Anita Finley Show. AM 1470 WNN Radio. August 30, 2012.